Insanely chewy, packed with apple flavors, and covered in tons of cinnamon sugar, these fall-style snickerdoodle cookies are going to blow your MIND they’re so good! They’re so easy to make, you’ll find them in your cookie jar all the time.
So my snickerdoodle cookies have officially taken a hit by FALL. Like roughly 97% of all the other things you’ve been seeing around here lately.
We’ll agree to disagree that my blog is the place to be if you have a thing for fall. And I’ll warn you right here and now, if you have a vendetta against pumpkin, apples, and basically all the best parts about fall, you’d better stay away until at least December.
Now, Friday!! Guys, it’s going down and cookies are playing a big part in that right now. Welcome to the fall form of heaven in a snickerdoodle.
So I blame these snickerdoodle cookies on the fact that my mom recently went to the apple orchard and picked up a ton of apple butter and I HAVE to use it before the greedy McGreedyson kiddos devour it all on their toast. (or by the spoonful–and yes, I’ve seen it done!)
Here’s what apple butter does when combined with snickerdoodles, you guys. —>
a) It makes for a SUPER-chewy and I mean insanely chewy snickerdoodle.
b) It adds just the slightest and most enjoyable apple flavor ever.
c) Combined with a ridiculously-thick coating of cinnamon sugar and we’ve got fall ALL covered.
Also. The smells that will fill your house whilst these cookies bake their little snickerdoodle hearts out? I wanna bottle up those smells, stick ’em in a Yankee candle, and keep it lit for all the remaining months of fall.
And I mean obviously I want to eat these cookies at the same time.
Can I reemphasize what your weekend baking project wants to look like? Actually, I have a few things to add to that list. Pumpkin bread from earlier this week, apple butter snickerdoodles from today, and if you’re feeling adventurous, you should probably throw a pie in there too.
I wouldn’t rule out snickerdoodles for breakfast either, you guys. It might happen and you might be glad it does. ♥
Apple Butter Snickerdoodle Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup apple butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Place butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Beat butter and sugar until completely creamy, about 2 minutes. Beat in egg, apple butter, and vanilla until smooth.
- Add flour, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg to mixer and mix on low speed until dough forms. Combine topping ingredients in a small bowl.
- Scoop dough into 1-in balls and roll balls in sugar mixture. Place 1-in apart on prepared baking sheets. Bake cookies at 350F 9-10 minutes or until edges just start to turn golden. (middles will still be soft--this is ok) Cool cookies on baking sheet 5 minutes then transfer to a wire cooling rack. Enjoy!
If you’ve got a thing for snickerdoodles…try ’em with ice cream in the middle. Puh-leeeze.