This grilled chicken margherita features grilled chicken topped with fresh mozzarella, juicy tomato slices, and lots of fresh basil and balsamic glaze.
Meet the most summer-packed chicken you will ever throw on the grill!
This grilled chicken is combining all the things you love about margherita pizza into chicken form and it is to DIE for.
You’re looking at the best dinner to throw together at the last minute on a summer night that’s also impressive as heck to boot!
We’re talking 7 ingredients and only 30 minutes standing between you and this epic pizza + chicken mashup!
This Grilled Chicken Margherita features…
- Juicy grilled chicken breasts.
- Sweet tomato slices and gooey fresh mozzarella.
- Fresh basil and balsamic glaze drizzled on top.
Making the Grilled Chicken Margherita
(scroll down to the bottom of post for the full recipe)
Ingredients You Will Need
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Olive oil
- Garlic powder
- Mozzarella cheese
- Balsamic glaze
Choosing Your Chicken
You will need about 1 lb of boneless skinless chicken breasts for this recipe. Prep the chicken breasts by cutting them in half horizontally so you have 4 chicken cutlets.
Cutting the breasts into cutlets is ideal for recipes like this where the chicken gets grilled because they cook up super fast and don’t need any oven time.
Tips for Perfect Margherita Chicken
- Rub chicken with olive oil – prep the chicken for grilling by rubbing both sides of the cutlets with olive oil and seasoning with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Grill chicken over medium-high heat – be careful to not overcook the chicken and use a kitchen thermometer to determine when chicken reaches 165F.
- Broil chicken – top the grilled chicken with a slice of mozzarella and tomato and stick under the broiler for a few minutes to melt the cheese.
- Top chicken with basil and balsamic glaze before serving – this adds one last little flavor punch to the chicken!
Don’t have a grill? You can still make this recipe! Follow these instructions for cooking the chicken on the stovetop.
Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet (or brush over a large cast iron grill pan) Once pan is hot, add chicken and sear on both sides until chicken registers 165F.
Try these ideas for a different spin on this chicken!
- Try a different cheese – try adding grated asiago or Parmesan cheese.
- Add more vegetables – add thinly sliced zucchini or summer squash alongside tomatoes.
- Serve over pasta – this chicken is incredible served over buttered noodles.
- Add more herbs – try fresh chives, oregano, or parsley.
Just pure summer in a chicken dish! The chicken grills up perfectly juicy and topped with melty mozz, tomatoes, fresh basil, and a good drizzle of balsamic glaze? Pure bliss.
This margherita chicken is going to become a PERMANENT addition to your summer dinner menu for the forseeable future, I promise! Pretty much as good as a pizza.
Save this recipe using the ‘save to recipe box’ button below. If you make it, please let us know! Leave a comment + star rating below, or take a photo and tag it on Instagram with #wholeandheavenlyoven.
Watch this chicken made step-by-step on Google web stories!
More grilled chicken dishes to try next…
Grilled Chicken Margherita
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts (2 medium breasts)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 8 slices fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1 medium tomato, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- Balsamic glaze for drizzling
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels and cut each chicken breast in half width-wise so you have 4 thin chicken cutlets. Rub chicken breasts on both sides with olive oil and season both sides with salt, pepper, and garlic.
- Heat a grill to medium-high heat. Grill chicken over medium-high heat, flipping once until chicken registers 165F. Transfer chicken to a baking dish.
- Top each chicken breast with a few slices of mozzarella, and a tomato slice. Sprinkle with additional salt and pepper. Broil chicken breasts under high heat 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Top chicken with basil and drizzle with balsamic glaze. Serve chicken immediately and enjoy!
This post was updated with new photos and recipe notes on 7/14/22.