A creamy, herby homemade green goddess dressing gets tossed with shredded chicken and plenty of fresh cherry tomatoes and avocado in this green goddess chicken salad! – pile this flavorful chicken salad over greens or on sandwich buns.
If you’ve ever wished you could have the popular Panera green goddess salad at home, but BETTER, the wait is now over!
Meet the chicken salad that’s about to take over your entire lunch life for the foreseeable future.
Jason and I have been eating this chicken salad pretty much nonstop the past few weeks and we’re not even slightly sick of it. There are SO many ways you can eat it and the flavors are 12/10.
The secret is undoubtedly and unsurprisingly in the homemade dressing. It MAKES this salad and honestly, you might want to consider giving it a permanent spot on your salad lineup.
You might want to also consider using this salad as the go-to recipe for ANY leftover chicken you have on hand. Leftover chicken has quickly become an exciting thing to have cause it means this salad is on deck.
This Green Goddess Chicken Salad features…
- A creamy, herby, homemade green goddess salad dressing
- Tender shredded chicken
- Silky avocado and juicy fresh cherry tomatoes
- Only a few minutes of prep time and VERY basic ingredients
Making the Green Goddess Chicken Salad
(scroll to the bottom of the post for the full recipe!)
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Fresh Herbs – fresh parsley and cilantro.
- Greek Yogurt – using Greek yogurt keeps the calories lower and makes the dressing SO creamy.
- Mayonnaise – just a touch of mayonnaise adds a little richness to the dressing.
- Avocado – avocado in both the dressing and folded into the finished salad.
- Basil Pesto – we like using jarred pesto to keep it easy, but homemade also works!
- Garlic – fresh garlic is a must for the dressing!
- Lemon Juice – fresh lemon juice adds a bit of acidity that cuts through the richness of the dressing.
- Cooked Chicken – any kind of leftover cooked chicken works here!
- Tomatoes – halved cherry tomatoes folded into the salad adds a delicious sweetness.
Making the Dressing
The blender does virtually ALL of the work to make the green goddess dressing. You can also use a food processor if you don’t have access to a blender.
If you want to make the dressing ahead of time, go for it! This dressing stores well up to 4 days in the fridge.
One of the main ingredients that makes a green goddess dressing is the use of fresh herbs. We use fresh parsley, cilantro, and jarred basil pesto in this dressing.
Additional flavor enhancers include fresh lemon juice, fresh garlic, and the optional addition of capers (adds a little extra layer of tanginess!)
Making up the bulk of this dressing is Greek yogurt, just a bit of mayonnaise, and half an avocado. << makes this dressing INCREDIBLY creamy!
What Kind of Chicken to Use
Any kind of leftover cooked chicken works great in this recipe! We have used shredded rotisserie chicken and diced chicken breast in this recipe with great results.
What To Serve with Salad
The options are endless for how you can enjoy this chicken salad! A few of our favorites…
- Butter lettuce leaves – make lettuce wraps out of this salad.
- Spring green mix – serve chicken salad on a bed of spring greens.
- Tortillas – a few handfuls of fresh spinach + chicken salad makes for a great wrap!
- Sandwich buns – pile this chicken salad between your favorite sandwich rolls.
Ready to change your lunch game forever? This salad is about to do exactly that.
The fresh, herby flavors we’re able to pack into this creamy chicken salad is UNREAL! The green goddess dressing is the secret weapon here, guys, it’s just all around a dream.
Plus MUCH cheaper and better than Panera, you’re welcome.
More chicken salad recipes you will love!
- Honey Rosemary Roast Chicken Salad
- Grilled Chicken Salad Pesto Lettuce Wraps
- Honey Garlic Grilled Chicken Salad
Watch this chicken salad made step-by-step on Google Web Stories!
Green Goddess Chicken Salad
This recipe may included paid links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup diced avocado (about 1/2 avocado)
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons jarred basil pesto
- 1 tablespoon capers (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups cubed or shredded cooked chicken
- Additional diced avocado and cherry tomatoes for serving, optional
- Mixed greens or sandwich buns for serving
- Place yogurt, mayonnaise, avocado, parsley, cilantro, pesto, capers, garlic, and lemon juice in a high-speed blender. Blend on high speed, scraping down sides as necessary until dressing is smooth.
- Season dressing with salt and pepper to taste and store in fridge until ready to use (up to 1 week)
- When ready to serve, place chicken in a large bowl and toss with dressing until evenly combined. Fold in avocado and cherry tomatoes if using. Season salad with additional salt and pepper if needed and serve immediately over greens or on sandwich buns. Enjoy!