This sun-dried tomato orzo salad is packed with charred sweet corn, silky avocado, tangy feta, and tossed in a flavorful lemon herb vinaigrette. – perfect for a lunch salad or cookout side!
Our summer salad game is getting a major reboot today. Just in time for July when all the summer produce is in season!
We love a good orzo pasta salad around here and this one is definitely ticking all the boxes.
If you’re looking for a killer flavorful pasta salad to bring to your next cookout, this one is definitely your guy!
We don’t do boring salads around here once summer hits. This beauty is LOADED down with colorful summer bounty and tastes just as incredible as it looks.
It’s always the hit of the cookout, pinky promise.
This Sun-Dried Tomato Orzo Salad features…
- Smoky charred sweet corn
- Tangy sun-dried tomatoes
- Lots of crumbled feta cheese
- Silky avocado slices
- Peppery baby arugula
- A flavorful lemon herb vinaigrette
Making the Sun-Dried Tomato Orzo Salad
(scroll to the bottom of the post for the full recipe!)
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Orzo pasta
- Sweet corn
- Sun-dried tomatoes
- Olive oil
- Feta cheese
- Baby arugula
- Lemon juice
- Fresh herbs
How to Char Corn
You can char the sweet corn on the grill, on the stovetop in a cast iron skillet, or under a broiler for a few minutes.
To char the corn, remove the husks + silk from each corn cob and rub the corn with a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Grill the corn over medium-high heat, turning occasionally 5-10 minutes until the corn is lightly charred. Cool the corn then carefully remove the corn from the cobs.
Making the Vinaigrette
No blender or food processor required for this vinaigrette! It’s made simply in one bowl with lemon juice, fresh garlic, fresh herbs, Dijon mustard, honey, and olive oil.
For the fresh herbs, we recommend choosing chives, parsley, basil, or a combination of all.
Tip: we love using the oil from sun-dried tomatoes in replacement of the olive oil in this dressing! It’s a great use for the flavored oil.
Tips for Perfect Orzo Salad
- Cook the pasta to al dente – be careful not to overcook the pasta as it may get mushy. Rinse the orzo well with cold water to cool it quickly.
- Prep all salad add-ins – thinly slice the sun-dried tomatoes, cube avocados, remove the corn from the cobs, and assemble baby arugula and crumbled feta.
- Toss dressing into salad just before serving – this helps keeps the greens crisp.
Make Ahead Instructions
- Build the salad (minus the avocado and vinaigrette) and store in refrigerator up to 3 days.
- Make the vinaigrette and store in refrigerator up to 6 days.
- When ready to serve, toss vinaigrette and avocado into salad and serve immediately.
What to Serve with Salad
This salad is an amazing addition to any cookout! We love it alongside grilled chicken, burgers, or veggies.
We’ve also been eating this salad lately as a lunch salad. – it’s so easy to make ahead for an easy lunch!
Trust me, this is one salad you won’t mind digging into this summer! The herby vinaigrette, the smoky charred corn, and the abundance of summer fresh produce is just to die for.
Definitely a stand-out on any cookout table! Make it ahead of time for ultimate ease.
Just be careful not to eat it all beforehand. Trust me, it could happen.
More summer salads to try next!
- Honey Garlic Grilled Chicken Mango Salad
- Tuscan Tortellini Salad
- Italian Mozzarella Cucumber Tomato Salad
Charred Corn Sun Dried Tomato Orzo Salad
Sun Dried Tomato Orzo Salad
- 4 ears sweet corn, husks and silk removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb orzo, cooked according to package instructions
- 1 cup oil-packed sun dried tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 medium ripe avocados, pitted and diced
- 2 cups baby arugula or spinach
Lemon Herb Vinaigrette
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons honey or agave syrup
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup finely chopped herbs (chives, parsley, basil, or a combination of all)
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Rub corn with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill corn over medium-high heat, turning occasionally until corn is lightly charred. (alternatively, you can also cook in a large cast iron on the stove) Allow corn to cool, then cut kernels off the cobs.
- In a large serving bowl, combine cooked orzo, tomatoes, corn, feta, avocado, and arugula. Toss salad to combine and store in refrigerator until ready to serve.
Lemon Herb Vinaigrette
- In a small bowl, whisk lemon juice, honey, mustard, herbs, and garlic. Slowly drizzle in olive oil, whisking constantly to emulsify. Season vinaigrette with salt and pepper to taste and store in refrigerator until ready to serve.
- When ready to serve, drizzle vinaigrette over salad and toss to combine. Serve salad immediately and enjoy!