Carrot cake banana bread features the most incredible soft, dense texture and is frosted with a thick layer of orange cream cheese frosting.
This bread is what I imagine spring in a loaf looks like!! It’s kinda like banana bread, also kinda like carrot cake, and just absolutely the best thing.
The texture and flavors of this beautiful loaf is insane, but it’s the thick layer of orange cream cheese that really seals the deal here.
As we transition into spring, I have a feeling this bread would be the perfect baked good for Easter celebrations, Mother’s Day, or really any spring event.
I mean….check out that picture-perfect texture! It’s like something out of a dream.
Banana bread and carrot cake on steroids. That’s the only way to describe this magic.
This Carrot Cake Banana Bread features…
- A soft banana bread texture with just a little heartiness from shredded carrot
- Flavors reminiscent of both banana bread and carrot cake rolled into one
- A thick, creamy orange cream cheese frosting
Making the Carrot Cake Banana Bread
(scroll down to the bottom of post for the full recipe)
Ingredients You Will Need
- Vegetable oil
- Granulated sugar
- Brown sugar
- Vanilla extract
- All-purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Neufchatel cream cheese
- Powdered sugar
How to Prep Carrots
We recommend using the large holes on a box grater to shred carrots for this bread. Firmly pack shredded carrot down in a measuring cup to accurately measure 2 cups.
Tips for Perfect Banana Bread
- Use ripe bananas – ripe bananas are the name of the game when it comes to good banana bread. You will need two medium ripe bananas mashed well for this recipe.
- Gently fold batter – use a light hand when mixing batter and gently fold so as not to overmix.
- Toast nuts – if you choose to use nuts in this bread, take the extra few minutes to toast them on the stovetop. This gives them much better flavor and texture.
- Bake bread in parchment paper-lined pan – this makes it much easier (and mess-free) to remove bread from pan.
- Test bread with toothpick – your bread is done when a toothpick comes out clean from the center.
- Cool bread completely before frosting – don’t rush this process – you want the bread completely cooled before topping with frosting otherwise it will all melt off.
- Make orange cream cheese frosting – whip Neufchatel cream cheese (or regular) with powdered sugar, orange juice + zest, and vanilla extract for a quick frosting.
- Frost bread and top with nuts – use an offset spatula to frost cooled bread, then top with additional toasted nuts if desired.
There’s several ways you can make this recipe your own! Try these ideas…
- Add chocolate – white chocolate chips or semisweet chocolate chips would be a great addition to this bread.
- Make it coconut – throw in 1/2 cup flaked sweetened coconut for a tropical-inspired bread.
- Use a different citrus in frosting – lime, lemon, or grapefruit would be a great swap for the orange.
How to Store Bread
This bread is best stored in fridge no more than 4 days. Due to the frosting, it’s necessary that it’s stored in the fridge, plus it will last longer!
If you wish to freeze this bread, allow loaf to cool completely then wrap well and freeze unfrosted up to 2 months.
To serve bread from frozen, thaw loaf completely then top with frosting, slice, and serve.
If you love banana bread and carrot cake, this is just the bread for you. The banana + carrot cake flavors are spot on, the texture is out of this world, and the thick cream cheese frosting just brings everything together.
This bread will be an absolute hit wherever you take it, guaranteed. Don’t expect to come home with any leftovers!
Save this recipe using the ‘save to recipe box’ button below. If you make it, please let us know! Leave a comment + star rating below, or take a photo and tag it on Instagram with #wholeandheavenlyoven.
Watch this bread made step-by-step on Google web stories!
More quick breads I know you’ll love!
- Grandma’s Cranberry Bread
- Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie Banana Bread
- Banana Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread
Carrot Cake Banana Bread with Orange Cream Cheese Frosting
Carrot Cake Banana Bread
- 2 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups firmly-packed shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts, toasted (optional)
Orange Cream Cheese Frosting
- 6 oz Neufchatel cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Additional toasted nuts for topping (optional)
Carrot Cake Banana Bread
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 9×5 loaf pan with parchment paper OR lightly grease. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk mashed banana, oil, sugars, egg, and vanilla until combined. In a medium separate bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, and salt.
- Gently fold flour mixture into liquid until batter is just combined. Fold in shredded carrot and nuts if using.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan and smooth top. Bake bread at 350F 50-55 minutes until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Allow bread to cool completely in pan on a cooling rack.
Orange Cream Cheese Frosting
- Place cream cheese in a large bowl and use an electric mixer to beat on medium speed until creamy. Add powdered sugar, orange zest, orange juice, and vanilla and beat until frosting is smooth and creamy.
- Use parchment paper to remove cooled bread from pan and discard parchment paper. Use an offset spatula to frost bread and garnish with additional toasted nuts if desired. Cut bread into slices and serve. Enjoy!