Made entirely on one sheet pan in under an hour, this pesto mozzarella chicken roasts up with plenty of flavorful pesto, tender zucchini, and bursting cherry tomatoes.
FYI: you’re not doing summer right unless your sheet pan dinners look like this!
This chicken and veggies seriously could not be more simple to pull off and it just tastes like all the best parts of summer.
We’re talking 8 ingredients, less than an hour, all that good stuff. It’s pure gold on a pan.
This chicken cooks up seriously SO flavorful thanks to the thick layer of pesto and lots of mozzarella cheese broiled on top.
It’s a very veggie + protein heavy dinner that won’t leave you feeling overly stuffed and the leftovers are the BEST!
This Pesto Mozzarella Chicken features…
- Juicy chicken breasts baked in flavorful pesto and mozzarella
- Tender zucchini chunks and bursting cherry tomatoes
- Only one pan, 8 ingredients, and 50 minutes needed.
Making the Pesto Mozzarella Chicken
(scroll down to the bottom of post for the full recipe)
Ingredients You Will Need
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Cherry tomatoes
- Basil pesto
- Olive oil
- Mozzarella cheese
Can I Use Another Chicken Cut?
Yes, absolutely! This recipe will work great with boneless skinless chicken thighs, bone-in thighs, or chicken legs.
Cook time will remain roughly the same if you choose to use boneless skinless chicken thighs, but be aware that you might have to increase the cook time if you go the bone-in route with thighs or legs.
If you find that the zucchini and tomatoes are cooking too fast and the chicken isn’t done yet, just remove the vegetables from the pan and continue cooking the chicken.
Tips for Perfect Sheet Pan Chicken
- Cut zucchini into uniform size – uniformity matters here since you want your zucchini to cook at the same rate.
- Use an 18×13 sheet pan – we found that this size sheet pan leaves plenty of room for the vegetables and chicken to cook.
- Roast chicken and vegetables at 400F – cooking at this high temp roasts the chicken and vegetables in only 25-30 minutes.
- Broil cheese – remove the chicken from the oven and top with a few slices of fresh mozzarella, then return to the oven to broil for a few minutes.
- Top with fresh basil and pesto – this little burst of basil adds so much flavor to the chicken and vegetables.
Try these ideas for a different spin on this chicken!
- Use fresh pesto – while we love the ease of a jarred for this recipe, nothing beats freshly-made pesto!
- Change up the vegetables – try mushrooms, summer squash, sweet pepper, or green beans.
- Try a different cheese – shredded cheddar, havarti, asiago, or Parmesan will all work in place of the mozzarella.
What to Serve with Chicken
This chicken is incredible served as-is for a light summer meal, but it also goes fantastic alongside roast potatoes or a light pasta salad.
Also keep in mind, if you end up with leftovers they reheat beautifully so don’t rule out this chicken for a meal-prepping option!
This sheet pan dinner is just the crown jewel of summer, y’all. The chicken is SO perfectly juicy, bursting with herby pesto flavors, and fantastic served alongside the roast zucchini and cherry tomatoes.
And with how incredibly easy it is to throw together? I wouldn’t rule out this chicken being on your menu at least once a week.
Save this recipe using the ‘save to recipe box’ button below. If you make it, please let us know! Leave a comment + star rating below, or take a photo and tag it on Instagram with #wholeandheavenlyoven.
Watch this chicken made step-by-step on Google web stories.
More incredible sheet pan dinners to make next!
Sheet Pan Pesto Mozzarella Chicken and Zucchini
- 1-1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 4 medium)
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- 1/4 cup basil pesto, plus more for drizzling on top
- 2 medium zucchinis, cut into 1/2-in chunks
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 4 slices fresh mozzarella
- 1/4 cup torn basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 400F. Lightly grease a large sheet pan.
- Pat chicken dry and season on both sides with salt and pepper. Arrange breasts on half of sheet pan and rub about 1 tablespoon pesto over top.
- In a medium bowl, toss zucchini, cherry tomatoes, olive oil, and garlic together until combined. Season with salt and pepper and arrange on other half of sheet pan.
- Roast chicken and zucchini at 400F 25-30 minutes until chicken registers 165F and zucchini/cherry tomatoes are tender.
- Remove pan from oven and top each chicken breast with a slice of mozzarella. Broil under high heat a few inches from heat until mozzarella is melted and lightly browned.
- Drizzle additional pesto over chicken if desired. Top chicken and zucchini with torn basil leaves and serve warm. Enjoy!