Flavorful Moroccan spice-roasted carrots and crisp apples are the perfect duo in this colorful autumn carrot apple salad that’s drizzled in a sweet maple dressing.
Fall salads are officially back in style and I couldn’t think of a better way to celebrate that than shoving this beautiful packed-to-capacity-with-fall salad in your feed.
It’s got ALL the autumn vibes going on from the Moroccan spiced carrots to the crisp apples and sweet maple dressing.
One of those lunch salads that actually doesn’t suck and simultaneously fancy enough to serve as a side dish for any occasion!
Plus it’s just a drop dead BEAUTY and seriously almost too pretty to eat, but I guarantee that won’t be enough to stop you.
It’s not often that a salad is enough to make you want to faceplant, but I’d hazard to guess this one makes the cut.
This Carrot Apple Salad features…
- Tender Moroccan spice-roasted carrots
- Crisp, sweet fall apples.
- Tangy crumbled feta
- Toasted walnuts and tender golden raisins.
- A base of fresh spring greens.
- A sweet maple vinaigrette.
Making the Carrot Apple Salad
(scroll down to the bottom of the post for the full recipe)
Ingredients You Will Need
- Spring green mix
- Golden raisins
- Feta cheese
- Maple syrup
- Dijon mustard
- Apple cider vinegar
- Olive oil
What are Moroccan Spices?
Moroccan spices are a mixture of warm, bold, and slightly-spicy flavors. We’re going to be using a mixture of ground cinnamon, cumin, allspice, coriander, ginger, cayenne, turmeric, salt, and pepper to make our own homemade Moroccan spice mix.
If you’re running short on time a pre-made Moroccan spice mix will work great in this recipe! You will need about 1 tablespoon’s worth.
Tips for Perfect Carrot Apple Salad
- Cut carrots in uniform sizes – this will help the carrots cook at an even rate.
- Prep apples just before assembling salad – don’t slice the apples too much in advance otherwise they will turn brown.
- Toast nuts – spread the nuts in an even layer in a medium skillet and lightly toast over medium heat to bring out their amazing flavor and texture.
- Dress salad just before serving – keep the greens and other salad ingredients crisp and lightly drizzle dressing over top only just before you are ready to serve.
Try these ideas for a different spin on this salad!
- Use a different dressing – try a sweet balsamic dressing or honey mustard vinaigrette in place of the maple dressing.
- Add more fruit – fresh raspberries or blueberries would be a delicious accompaniment to the apples.
- Try a different cheese – shredded cheddar, blue cheese, or asiago would be great replacements for the feta.
- Roast a different vegetable – sweet potatoes or butternut squash would both work in place of the carrot. Be aware, you may have to adjust cook time slightly.
- Use a different nut – pecans, almonds, or pine nuts would be great substitutes for the walnuts.
Want to make components of this salad ahead of time? Use these tips!
- Make dressing – the maple dressing may be made and stored in refrigerator up to 1 week. Shake well before drizzling on salad.
- Roast carrots – the carrots may be roasted and stored in refrigerator up to 4 days.
- Toast nuts – allow nuts to cool completely, then store in an airtight container on counter up to several weeks.
The bold flavors and textures in this beautiful fall salad are absolutely everything! The tender spice-roasted carrots, crisp apples, and sweet maple dressing brings out the most incredible fall flavors.
You’ve just found your new favorite lunch salad!
Save this recipe using the ‘save to recipe box’ button below. If you make it, please let us know! Leave a comment + star rating below, or take a photo and tag it on Instagram with #wholeandheavenlyoven.
Watch this salad made step-by-step on Google web stories.
More incredible falls salads you have to try next!
Moroccan Roasted Carrot Apple Salad
Moroccan Roasted Carrots
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-in chunks
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 cups spring greens mix
- 2 large apples, peeled, cored, and sliced into 1/4-in thick slices
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup golden raisins (optional)
Moroccan Roasted Carrots
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a medium sheet pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine spices, carrots, and olive oil until evenly combined. Spread in a single layer on prepared sheet pan. Roast carrots at 400F 20-25 minutes until carrots are tender when pierced with a fork.
- In a small bowl, whisk maple syrup, mustard, and vinegar together. Slowly drizzle in olive oil, whisking constantly until dressing is smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large serving bowl, combine greens, apples, walnuts, feta, golden raisins, and roasted carrots. Drizzle dressing over top and toss salad to evenly coat. Serve salad immediately and enjoy!