Spicy chipotle roasted sweet potatoes and a flavorful honey soy sauce vinaigrette dress up this sweet potato black bean salad into an incredible flavor-packed side dish or lunch salad!
Salad lust is real and this gem of a bowl today is living proof of that.
We’re taking your typical black bean salad WAY up a notch today and throwing some chipotle roasted sweet potatoes + honey vinaigrette action in there. Avocado is also invited to the party, obv.
It’s spicy, it’s sweet, absolutely loaded with texture, and 100% the kinda salad you want to have on hand at all times.
And the colors?? Literally off the charts and everyone knows a salad with ALL the colors automatically wins.
This Sweet Potato Black Bean Salad features…
- Spicy chipotle roasted sweet potatoes
- Tender black beans, fresh tomatoes, and silky avocado
- A flavorful honey soy sauce vinaigrette
- Less than an hour to make and goes well with any meal
Making the Sweet Potato Black Bean Salad
(scroll down to the bottom of the post for the full recipe)
Ingredients You Will Need
- Sweet potatoes
- Olive oil
- Chipotle in adobo sauce
- Black beans
- Low-sodium soy sauce
- Lime juice
- Apple cider vinegar
How To Adjust Heat Level
Whether you’re sensitive to spice or can’t get enough of it, it’s super easy to dial the heat up or down in this salad!
- For a mild salad: use 1-2 teaspoons chipotle in roasted sweet potatoes.
- For a spicy salad: follow recipe instructions.
- For an extra-spicy salad: increase chipotle to 4 tablespoons in roasted sweet potatoes.
Tips for Perfect Sweet Potato Salad
- Cut sweet potatoes into uniform size – 1/4-inch cubes is what we’re going for. Try to cut them as uniformly as possible so they cook at the same rate.
- Drain and rinse beans – we don’t want any of the bean liquid in the salad so make sure you drain and rinse them with plenty of cold water before adding to salad.
- Cut avocado just before serving – this will prevent the avocado from turning brown.
- Use lots of fresh cilantro – this adds so much fantastic flavor the salad! If you don’t like cilantro, feel free to use parsley in its place.
Try these ideas for a different twist on this salad.
- Add cheese – crumbled feta, cotija cheese, or cubed pepper jack cheese would all be great additions to this salad.
- Try different veggies – try diced sweet pepper, sweet corn, sautéed mushrooms, or zucchini.
- Add meat – grill up some chicken, cut into cubes, and toss into the salad for added protein.
- Use a different bean – chickpeas, white beans, or pinto beans would be a perfect substitute for the black beans.
Make Ahead Instructions
Follow these instructions for make ahead options!
This salad can be fully assembled and stored in the refrigerator up to 3 days. If you plan on storing this salad, we do recommend you wait on adding the avocado until just before serving to prevent it from turning brown.
The flavors in this salad are just absolutely off the charts! The sweet potatoes are tender and smoky, the black beans and silky avocado add a heartiness, and the flavorful honey soy dressing just brings all the flavors together.
Whether you serve this salad as a lunch option or as a side dish alongside your favorite Mexican meal, it’s going to shine, period.
Save this recipe using the ‘save to recipe box’ button below. If you make it, please let us know! Leave a comment + star rating below, or take a photo and tag it on Instagram with #wholeandheavenlyoven.
Watch this salad made step-by-step on Google web stories.
More flavor-packed salads for you to try next!
Chipotle Roasted Sweet Potato Black Bean Salad
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cut into 1/4-in cubes
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced chipotle in adobo sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium avocado, pitted and diced into 1/4-in cubes
- 2 medium tomatoes, cored and diced into 1/4-in cubes
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
Honey Soy Vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F and lightly grease a medium sheet pan. Set aside.
- Combine sweet potatoes, olive oil, and chipotle on sheet pan until evenly coated. Spread into an even layer on sheet pan and season with salt and pepper to taste. Roast sweet potatoes at 400F 25-30 minutes until tender. Allow to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, combine black beans, avocado, tomatoes, cilantro, and cooled sweet potatoes. Set aside for a moment.
Honey Soy Vinaigrette
- In a small bowl, whisk honey, soy sauce, lime, and vinegar until smooth. Slowly drizzle in olive oil, whisking constantly until dressing is smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Drizzle dressing over salad and toss to combine. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste and serve. Enjoy!