Loaded with hearty black beans, corn, and avocado, this Mexican black bean corn salad gets dressed with a spicy jalapeno dressing and is the perfect accompaniment alongside any Mexican meal!
We’re not holding back in the colors or the flavor department in this salad today. Meet your new lunch addiction and your tortilla chips best friend.
This is one of those hearty salads that’s almost like a chunky salsa and it is KILLER good.
The part that really seals the deal is the spicy jalapeno dressing that makes everything so perfectly creamy and flavorful. You’ll soon see why we eat this straight from the bowl with a spoon.
And the best part is that it’s SO freaking easy to throw together with basic pantry ingredients and only 30 minutes of your time!
It really will take any meal to the next level.
This Black Bean Corn Salad features…
- Hearty black beans and sweet corn.
- Silky avocado and crunchy sweet pepper.
- A creamy, spicy jalapeno dressing.
- Only 30 minutes to make and you probably have all the ingredients on hand!
Making the Black Bean Corn Salad
(scroll down to the bottom of the post for the full recipe)
Ingredients You Will Need
- Black beans
- Sweet corn
- Red onion
- Sweet pepper
- Jalapeno pepper
- Lime juice
- Olive oil
What to Serve with Salad
This salad goes great alongside any Mexican dish, but is also definitely filling enough to be served on its own for a lunch salad!
Try this salad as a lighter pairing with enchiladas, tacos, or fajitas. My husband has even used it as a chip dip before since it’s pretty similar to a cowboy caviar!
Tips for Perfect Black Bean Corn Salad
- Cut vegetables in uniform sizes – this will make the salad easy to eat and will look amazing!
- Don’t cut avocado until just before serving – we usually toss in the avocado just before serving so it doesn’t turn brown.
- Drain and rinse beans – we don’t want any bean juice in the salad, so make sure you rinse the beans in plenty of cold water before mixing into the salad.
- Blend dressing in blender or food processor – you could also use an immersion blender if you don’t have either of these tools on hand
Try out these ideas if you’re looking for a different variation of this recipe!
- Make it spicier – for a salad with some extra kick, try using a serrano or habanero pepper in place of the jalapeno.
- Add cheese – a shredded Mexican blend, sharp cheddar, or crumbled feta would be a great cheesy addition.
- Throw in extra veggies – diced tomato, cucumber, baby spinach, or sauteed mushrooms would be excellent veggie additions.
- Serve it as a salsa or topper – try chips as a vehicle for this salad or pile it on top of grilled chicken or steak.
Make Ahead Instructions
Follow these instructions for make ahead options!
- Make dressing – the dressing may be stored in refrigerator up to 6 days.
- Assemble salad (minus avocado) – the salad may be stored in the refrigerator up to 6 days.
When ready to serve, toss the dressing and just-cut avocado into the salad and toss to combine.
It’s just so incredibly fresh tasting AND perfectly hearty from the black beans and corn. Ticking all the salad boxes!
Definitely not hard to see why we pair this alongside all of our Mexican meals now.
Save this recipe using the ‘save to recipe box’ button below. If you make it, please let us know! Leave a comment + star rating below, or take a photo and tag it on Instagram with #wholeandheavenlyoven.
Watch this salad made step-by-step on Google web stories!
More loaded salads to try next!
Mexican Black Bean Corn Salad with Jalapeno Dressing
- 1 medium jalapeno, minced
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar or honey
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 cup lightly-packed cilantro
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Mexican Black Bean Corn Salad
- 2 cans (15 oz each) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium sweet pepper, cut into 1/4-in cubes
- 2 cups cooked sweet corn kernels
- 2 medium avocados, pitted and diced into 1/4-in cubes
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a food processor or blender. Blend on high speed until smooth, scraping down sides as necessary. Season dressing with salt and pepper to taste and store in fridge until ready to use.
Mexican Black Bean Corn Salad
- Combine all salad ingredients in a large bowl. Drizzle dressing over top and lightly toss to coat. Season salad with salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Helber Greenwood. says
What a refreshing salad.
Thank you! Hope you get a chance to try it. 🙂