Packed with flavorful caramelized onions and baked with lots of gooey cheese on top, this baked spinach artichoke dip is a favorite appetizer and so easy to whip up!
Hot and cheesy dips are almost cool again so naturally, we’re kicking things off with the best spinach artichoke dip you’ll ever have.
Featuring all the cheesy goodness plus a mess of caramelized onions for a dip with some sass.
Don’t think you’re getting out of here without demolishing half the pan, it just goes with the spinach artichoke dip territory.
The real winning part about this dip is that it’s minimal on the ingredients list and you can prep almost everything else while you’re waiting for the onions to caramelize!
You can also prep the majority of this dip way ahead of time so you can have your spinach artichoke dip at the drop of a hat, you’re welcome.
This Spinach Artichoke Dip features…
- Deeply flavorful caramelized onions
- Tender artichoke hearts and wilted baby spinach
- Gooey mozzarella and Parmesan cheese baked on top
- Minutes to make and always a hit appetizer
Making the Spinach Artichoke Dip
(scroll down to the bottom of the post for the full recipe)
Ingredients You Will Need
- Olive oil
- Unsalted butter
- Vidalia sweet onion
- Baby spinach
- Artichoke hearts
- Cream cheese
- Mozzarella cheese
- Parmesan cheese
What To Serve with Dip
This dip is great with any kind of chips or crackers as well as veggies! We love setting up a tray with a variety of tortilla chips, butter crackers, carrot sticks, and celery sticks alongside this dip.
You don’t have to use this dip just for snacking though. We’ve also used it as a bagel cream cheese spread, a topper for nachos, and spread on flatbreads for mini pizzas.
Tips for Perfect Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Slowly caramelize onions – the most important part about caramelizing is cooking the onions very slowly so you’re going to want to cook the onion over medium heat for about 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally until they are a deep golden brown.
- Wilt spinach – once the onions are done caramelizing, add the spinach to the hot onions to wilt it a bit.
- Soften cream cheese before mixing – this will make for a smooth and creamy dip.
Try these ideas for a different twist on this dip!
- Add mushrooms – try adding 4 oz sauteed chopped mushrooms to the dip.
- Try different cheeses – cheddar, Monterey jack, asiago, or pepper jack would work great in this recipe.
- Make it spicy – try adding a sauteed jalapeno pepper, a few shakes of red pepper flakes, or hot sauce to dip.
Make Ahead Instructions
Follow these instructions for time-saving make ahead options.
- Caramelize onions – this is a great way to cut down on prep time since the caramelized onions are one of the longest parts of this recipe. Caramelize the onions and store in refrigerator up to 6 days.
- Assemble dip – once the dip is assembled in the baking dish with cheese on top you can store it in refrigerator up to 4 days prior to baking. If baking from cold, add an extra 5 minutes to bake time.
- Reheating – to reheat the dip after baking, we recommend reheating individual servings in the microwave on high 1-3 minutes.
This is just a pan full of absolute appetizer GOALS! It’s so insanely creamy and loaded with all the best parts you love about a good spinach artichoke dip…but taken up another level by the flavorful caramelized onions.
You’ll always end up with an empty pan of this goodness and that’s a promise.
Save this recipe using the ‘save to recipe box’ button below. If you make it, please let us know! Leave a comment + star rating below, or take a photo and tag it on Instagram with #wholeandheavenlyoven.
More hot and cheesy appetizers to try next!
Baked Spinach Artichoke Dip with Caramelized Onions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1 large sweet Vidalia onion, thinly sliced
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups firmly-packed baby spinach
- 1 (14 oz) can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 12 oz cream cheese, softened
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded low-moisture mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Tortilla chips or crackers for serving
- Preheat oven to 400F. Lightly grease a square or round 9-inch baking dish and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt olive oil and butter, swirling pan to evenly coat. Add onion and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until onions are a deep golden brown, about 20-25 minutes.
- Add garlic and spinach to caramelized onions and stir over medium heat an additional few minutes until spinach is wilted. Add artichokes and toss until combined.
- In a large bowl beat softened cream cheese until smooth. Fold in spinach-artichoke mixture until evenly combined and season mixture with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread dip mixture in prepared pan and top with cheeses. Bake dip at 400F 25-30 minutes until dip is bubbly and cheese is lightly browned.
- Remove dip from oven and top with fresh parsley. Serve dip warm with chips or crackers and enjoy!