Moist, chocolate-y, and just plain delish Classic Chocolate Cupcakes with a wicked-good fudge frosting.
Sometimes you just want to go back to the good ‘ol classics….. Especially if that classic happens to involve chocolate. Everyone loves a good chocolate cupcake with a to-die-for fudgy chocolate frosting. I myself, just LOVE a wicked-good chocolate cupcake. One of my biggest weaknesses.
I was feeling kinda depressed about the end of the weekend, a few days ago and that definitely called for cupcakes. With chocolate. Lots of chocolate. So I spent a lovely fall Monday afternoon, in the kitchen baking up some chocolate-y goodness with the kiddos (aka-my younger siblings) I was asked at least five times: “Are the cupcakes ready, yet?”
About an hour later…..
“Smack, smack, mmm, mmm.” Those were the only words I heard when we had finished frosting the cupcakes and it was finally time to dig in.
These cupcakes are so ridiculously easy—in the oven in less than 10 minutes! Who has time to spend the entire day baking cupcakes? Although that sounds like a lovely way to spend a day, I have no time for it. And I’m betting you don’t either–so that calls for cupcakes that are EASY.
Now, a chocolate cupcake really is not worth it unless the cupcake is moist and chocolate-y, and the frosting is smooth and creamy. Don’t waste your time and money on a boxed version of chocolate cupcakes…sooo not worth it. If you want a killer chocolate cupcake, go by the #1 baker rule—do it from scratch.
Ohhhh and that frosting….it is, without a doubt, the best chocolate frosting I have ever created (yes, I made it up myself) I first used it to frost this delicious cake and I got rave reviews from every member of my family. I would give up all my leather guitar straps just for a bowlful of this frosting. I know I’m weird, but trust me: This frosting is so addicting and chocolate-y, it might not even make it onto these cupcakes. You’ll be eating it straight from the mixing bowl.
Made-from-scratch chocolate cupcakes definitely does not mean extravagant ingredients. These cupcakes’ ingredients are so basic you probably have all the ingredients sitting in your pantry right now. This cupcake recipe also yields a fairly small batch, just because you might not always want to go to the trouble of making 12 cupcakes. This batch yields 6 cupcakes.
Perfect amount for me. Just don’t count on me sharing any 😉
Classic Chocolate Cupcakes With Fudge Frosting
- 1 oz. unsweetened chocolate chopped
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 1/3 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 2/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- 1 oz. unsweetened chocolate melted
- 1/2 cup heavy cream whipped to stiff peaks
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with 6 muffin liners.Set aside.
- In a double-boiler over medium heat, melt chopped chocolate and butter until smooth, stirring occasionally. Cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk egg, coconut sugar, vanilla, buttermilk, and cooled chocolate mixture. Add chocolate mixture to flour mixture, gently stirring until just combined.
- Fill prepared cupcake liners with batter, smoothing tops with a spoon. Bake at 350F 15-18 minutes until a toothpick comes out a with a few crumbs still attached to it. Remove cupcakes from pan and cool completely on a wire cooling rack.
- Make the frosting:In a medium bowl with an electric beater, beat butter, coconut sugar, vanilla, and salt on high speed 1 minute until smooth and creamy. Beat in melted chocolate at medium speed until smooth. Fold in whipped cream. Refrigerate frosting 10 minutes until slightly thickened.
- Frost cooled cupcakes with frosting and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Welcome to my chocolate obsession…!!