Your family will love this hearty mac and cheese that’s filled with lots of ground beef, tomatoes, and gooey cheddar cheese. Comes together in 30 minutes and perfect for busy weeknights!
Is it okay with you guys if I squeeze in ONE more comfort food recipe before winter is really over? Good, because seriously guys, it just doesn’t get any better than this…
‘Cause this hearty and ‘kickin mac ‘n’ cheese is just about as comforting as it gets. It’s filled everything you would put in a chili, and it’s oh-so gooey and cheesy.
Pass me a few napkins.
Bonus? It’s an entire meal-in-one. It’s made entirely in the skillet. Oh, and it’s ready in literally 30 minutes. So it’s kind of perfect for those crazy-busy weeknights that we all have to deal with.
A couple things to consider when you’re making this mac: When I was deciding on the spices to add, I used smoked paprika, because I LOVE the rustic smokey taste it gives my savory dishes. If you don’t have smoked paprika available, regular would be perfectly fine.
The only other spices you’ll need are: Chili powder for a little spicy kick, minced fresh parsley for flavor, and of course, salt and pepper to taste.
Feel free to reduce the amount of spice, if your kids aren’t particularly fond of spicy food. 😉
I like adding a little extra cheese on top of my mac ‘n’ cheese. The cheesier the better I always say.
A little extra parsley sprinkled on top of that gorgeous cheese adds a lovely finishing touch. Boom. Dinner’s ready.
Whoever thought up the idea of combining chili and mac ‘n’ cheese is literally a genius. Two of my most favorite comfort foods in the world.
This is one of the few meals around here that every member of my family loves. For anyone who knows MY family you would know that this M&C would have to be pretty good for THAT to ever happen…
Nobody can resist this cheesy goodness…
Ultimate comfort food.
Skillet Chili Macaroni & Cheese
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 large onion diced
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 can 30 oz tomato sauce
- 1 box 16 oz whole wheat elbow macaroni, cooked according to package instructions
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese divided
- Additional parsley for garnishing optional
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook ground beef, onion, and garlic until beef is browned and vegetables are soft. Remove from heat and stir in chili powder, paprika, parsley, tomato sauce, macaroni. and salt and pepper to taste until combined.
- Return skillet to medium-high heat, and gently stir until mixture is heated through. Reduce heat to low and stir in 2 cups cheddar cheese until cheese is melted. Sprinkle remaining cheese over top and cover pan with lid. Let stand over low heat 5-10 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Garnish with additional parsley if desired.
Try my other quick dinner ideas next!
Recipe adapted from Sweet Pea’s Kitchen.