This grilled corn on the cob cooks up perfectly sweet and tender in minutes on the grill and is amazing brushed with a flavorful basil butter!
If you’re not grilling your corn this summer (and every summer, let’s be honest) you’re definitely doing it wrong!
This grilled corn is hands-down the easiest way we’ve ever discovered to cook corn in the summertime and doesn’t involve heating up your kitchen with boiling water either.
Plus we’re pairing it with a pretty snazzy basil butter which takes things completely over the top in corn land.
The level of ease we’re talking here is utterly insane too. 10 minutes tops to grill your corn, 5 more minutes to whip up your butter and we’re in the corn business.
Your summer cookouts are about to be fire this year, FYI.
This Grilled Corn features…
- Smoky grilled sweet corn on the cob
- A flavorful homemade basil butter
- Minutes to make and the easiest way to cook corn in the summertime
Making the Grilled Corn
(scroll down to the bottom of the post for the full recipe)
Ingredients You Will Need
- Unsalted butter
- Olive oil
How To Prep Corn For Grilling
There are several methods to grilling corn, but we prefer the method where you remove the husks and silk prior to grilling. It makes it much easier to serve and only requires a little prep beforehand!
The best part is you can prep this corn way ahead of time by removing the husks and silk and storing the corn in the refrigerator for up to 4 days prior to grilling.
Tips for Perfect Grilled Corn
- Make basil butter before grilling – ideally, you want your butter made up and ready to go before grilling so the corn can be brushed with the butter the moment after coming off the grill.
- Preheat grill – you want your grill hot and ready to go before adding the corn.
- Brush corn with olive oil – this ensures that your corn won’t stick to the grill grates.
- Flip corn frequently – we don’t recommend leaving the grill once you put the corn on. It will not take long to cook and you’re going to want to turn it frequently so all sides get evenly charred.
- Brush on butter while corn is warm – this will help the butter melt and evenly distribute itself all over the corn.
Try these ideas for a different twist on this grilled corn.
- Grill different veggies alongside corn – try sweet pepper, asparagus, zucchini, mushrooms, or summer squash.
- Use different herbs in butter – try minced chives, parsley, or cilantro.
- Make it spicy – top corn with red pepper flakes or a drizzle of hot sauce.
- Add cheese – try sprinkling corn with grated Parmesan or cotija cheese.
Don’t have a grill? You can still make this recipe! Follow these instructions for cooking the corn on the stovetop.
Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil over medium-high heat in a large cast iron skillet (or brush over a large cast iron grill pan) Once pan is hot, add corn and pan sear several minutes until corn is slightly charred and bright yellow.
It’s the herby basil butter that just takes this grilled corn COMPLETELY over the top! The corn is perfectly sweet, juicy, and just a little smoky from the grill and tastes like all the best parts about summer.
Trust me, once you start making your corn like this there’s no going back!
Save this recipe using the ‘save to recipe box’ button below. If you make it, please let us know! Leave a comment + star rating below, or take a photo and tag it on Instagram with #wholeandheavenlyoven.
Watch this sweet corn made step-by-step on Google web stories.
More summer corn favorites to try next!
- Pesto Zucchini Orzo with Charred Sweet Corn
- Sweet Potato Corn Chowder
- Charred Sweet Corn Zucchini Curry
Grilled Corn on the Cob with Basil Butter
This recipe may included paid links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 ears corn, husk and silk removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- In a small bowl, combine butter, garlic, and basil until creamy. Season butter with salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
- Preheat a grill over medium-high heat OR lightly grease a grill pan to use on the stovetop. Rub corn all over with olive oil.
- Grill chicken over medium-high heat, turning occasionally until corn is slightly charred and bright yellow, about 5-8 minutes of cooking.
- Remove corn from heat and immediately brush with basil butter while warm and season with additional salt and pepper to taste if needed. Serve immediately and enjoy!
This recipe was updated with new photos and recipe tips on 7/6/23.