This kickin’ cornbread is packed with plenty of jalapeno heat and loaded with lots of melty cheddar cheese—perfect alongside hot bowls of chili for the Superbowl!
Y’all. I’ve got a secret problem. It’s called I’m-secretly-a-complete-and-total-cornbread-addict.
As in, I’ve been known to make meals out of the stuff I love it so dang much.
And you know what’s even more disturbing? I LIKE this problem. It’s like the best problem ever! Yup, me and my cornbread-addiction are great friends.
Are you scared yet? Don’t be. This is just a normal walk-in-the-park in Sarah’s mind…
That being said, are you ready for a kick-a** cornbread today? Actually, it’s more like a kick-you-in-the-tastebuds with zee HEAT-kinda cornbread. Jalapenos. And all the cheddar. Both of these little sneaky-sneakers somehow snuck their way into my cornbread batter…
How in the…..how did THAT happen?? You’ve got me, but I’m not one to mess with DESTINY!
Surely you guys know my good friend the lovely original cornbread recipe? Me and this cornbread have been through a lot together….Ok, I’ll be honest. I’ve eaten a lot of it.
A lot. Eeek…..
By itself it’s amazing. Throwing some jalapeno-heat and melty cheddar into mix was a total mad-scientist move on my part, but seriously? SO. DANG. AH-MAZING.
So purely amazing it makes me want to completely ignore my bowl of chili sitting over there getting cold…
Hello, Mr. Cornbread. Move a ‘lil closer to me…
So. Have you got ‘yo food figured out for Football Sunday yet? You all surely know by now that I am the HUGEST procrastinator, so naturally I haven’t even begun to think about it.
*cue huge cramming session Saturday night and endless shopping trip Sunday morning*
EXCEPT you’ve gotta give me credit, because I’ve already decided that this cornbread, is most definitely going on the menu. Also, I’m pretty sure that this chili is gonna have to make an appearance too. Do you think I’d be pushing it if I cranked out this pulled chicken too? With a side of these poppers obviously….
And possibly these brownies for dessert??
See? I’ve already got a kickin’-good start! This procrastinator is on FIRE.
You know what else is on fire? Your tastebuds, because this cornbread is loaded with ‘zee HEAT. It’s not so spicy that you’ll cry or anything, but it does pack quite a bit of jalapeno ZIP that’s slightly cooled down by the mild cheddar cheese. Flavors = Dynamite.
Combine those kick-ya-in-the-pants flavors with the fact that this cornbread has pretty much the softest, moistest, spring-iest texture you’ll ever sink your teeth into and SCORE! We’ve got a touchdown in Football-Food Land.
Whatever you do, you absolutely must make sure that this cornbread makes it on your game-day agenda. The menfolk and even all the ladies at your bash are going to go completely cornbread-cray.
I’ve been that way for awhile now, and to tell you the truth and it’s totally cool if you don’t mind gaining 1840 pounds from over-consumption of cornbread….
Dare I ask what team you’re rooting for this year? Since my team let me down in a big way, I’m cheering on Team Football Food instead. Well, I would have been either way, but you get it.
This cornbread is like the quarterback on a football team. Always there. Right in your face. Demanding that you eat more.
I can’t and won’t ignore.
P.S. Warm honey and an extra-large pat of butter are a given. I’m just a’sayin. 🙂
Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread
- 1-1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup frozen sweet corn thawed
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and finely minced
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line an 8-in baking pan with tin foil and lightly grease. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Place thawed corn and honey in a food processor. Pulse several times until smooth (mixture will still be slightly chunky) Add buttermilk, sour cream, and eggs to mixture and pulse several times until combined.
- Make a well in the center of dry ingredients and add liquid mixture. Gently fold several times until smooth. Fold in melted butter, jalapeno pepper, and cheese.
- Spread batter evenly into prepared pan. Bake cornbread at 400F 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool cornbread slightly on a wire cooling rack before cutting into squares. Serve warm with honey if desired.
What are you whipping up for the big game? Any or ALL of these recipes are sure-fire WINNERS.