Loaded with a double-delight of juicy berries and topped with lots of buttery oat streusel, these patriotic crumb bars make a super-easy, yet very impressive 4th of July dessert!
Question here guys: How much crumb topping is too MUCH crumb topping?
Answer: You can never have enough. Sorry, but facts are just facts.
And the fact of the matter is that the keys to a banger 4th of July dessert are now in your hands.
The bars? They’re in your tum. Deffffff in your future!!
So. I’m clearly behind as far as the 4th of July goes. It snuck up on me this year for REAL! Granted, I haaaaave been a little distracted lately with all the party stuff this past weekend and the fact that my sister with her kiddos have been staying with us the past few days.
But still. The 4th is one of my favorite holidays! It’s the only day of the year that you can have both hot dogs AND hamburgers on one plate! The annual binge-day of juicy watermelon. The one day of the year that noisy neighbors shooting off firecrackers in the street aren’t super-annoying.
Oh, wait. My family ARE those neighbors. Brothers and their “toys.” Oy.
So in short, these bars are my peace offering to you for being so holiday spirit-less. I mean, you really cannot even get more patriotic than a CLASSIC berry-loaded, streusel-laden bar.
Because red strawberries + blue blueberries + white-ish streusel topping = A whole lot of PATRIOTIC. And a whole lot of YEE-UM.
Hello, gorgeous. You make the 4th errrrrrr’thing that it is. ♥
So far everyone I’ve served these bars to have fallen head-over-heels in love. My grandpa (who by the way is totally a chocolate-belongs-in-everything kinda person) told me that since these bars had fruit and oats in ’em they could qualify as lunch. Every day.
I KNEW I wasn’t the only one!!
There’s really nothing not to love about these bars. They’re so soft, buttery and STREUSEL-loaded! Seriously so much streusel, but I wouldn’t love it/have it any other way.
And the berries. A double-whammy. Makes you go like whoaaaaaaaaa!
Plus the ease. You can’t even beat it. Spoiler alert: the crust and the topping is actually the same! Spoiler alert #2: the berry filling is only three ingredients—yea!!
How much are those potential holiday weekend guests going to love these bars? A lot. How many leftovers are there going to be? ZE-RO.
And with that, I shall leave you to get to your crumb bar-binging business. And hopefully this won’t be the first/last patriotic recipe I share with you before the 4th.
Red White and Blue Berry Crumb Bars
- CRUST AND TOPPING:
- 1-1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup cold butter cubed
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/3 cup strawberry or blueberry jam
- Preheat oven to 375F. Line an 8-in square baking pan with foil and lightly grease. Set aside.
- Make the crust: In a large bowl, combine all crust/topping ingredients and toss with a fork until crumbly. Press 2/3 of mixture evenly into the bottom of prepared baking pan. Set aside remaining crumb mixture.
- Bake crust in preheated oven 8-10 minutes or until lightly golden. Remove from oven and set aside
- Make the filling: In a medium bowl, combine all filling ingredients, then evenly spread over pre-baked crust. Sprinkle remaining crumb mixture evenly over fruit filling.
- Bake bars at 375F 20-25 minutes or until filling is bubbly and topping is golden-brown. Cool bars completely on a wire cooling rack before cutting into squares.
Now attack those berry bars and don’t leave the crumbs.
Kelley @ Chef Savvy says
These bars are so pretty Sarah! They would be perfect for Fourth of July!
Thank you so much Kelley! xoxo
Manali @ CookWithManali says
perfect for 4th July, love these bars Sarah! and there can never be too much crumb topping!
Thanks Manali! And agreed!! Crumb topping is the best part. 😉
Kennedy Cole@KCole's Creative Corner says
This looks perfect for the upcoming 4th of July! You can NEVER have enough crumb topping! 😀
Thank you Kennedy! Isn’t crumb topping the best??
Annie @ Annie's Noms says
Oooh these look divine!! Love crumb bars and strawberries and blueberries together are just amazing!! 🙂
Aww thanks Annie! These sound right up your alley, girlie!