An irresistible sticky pecan topping stars in these soft pumpkin spiced muffins—like a cross between a sticky bun and a muffin all rolled in one!
As of yesterday, it is officially FALL, peeps! Do you know what this means? More pumpkin, more apples, more cozy fall stuff…basically all the same stuff that I’ve been sharing with y’all since September 1st.
But, but, we’re all OFFICIAL now is the difference! Now you can’t possibly hate on me for shoving all of the above fall stuff in your face.
I realize that sounds slightly unkind, but trust me: It’s for everyone’s own good. You’ll thank me later.
Now uh, how ’bout them muffins? You know, the ones that I haven’t even mentioned yet, just subtly hinted at? Yeah, THESE —>
Guys, I don’t want to brag, but I’m kinda becoming a total boss at rolling two (even three here!) breakfasts into one. I like to think it’s an acquired sense of madness, and I totally have it DOWN. 😉
What’s the deal-io with these muffins? They’re sorta a sticky bun and a pumpkin muffin all in one. Caramel-y pecan upside-down topping + super-moist pumpkin spiced muffin. What wizardry is this??
See what I mean now? Complete madness.
Fall, I’m lookin’ straight at ‘ya. Me and my muffins, yo.
Guys, I knoooow I’ve been frantically and even maybe psychotically shoving basically all the pumpkin stuff at you the past few weeks, but seriously! Upside-down pumpkin muffins, ya’ll! You need to get properly acquainted.
Sidenote: I need to reacquaint myself with these muffins for REAL. It’s been nearly 5 days since the last muffin was devoured and I am in serious pumpkin upside-down muffin withdrawal.
That could be partly due to all the caffeine I’ve loaded myself up with thus far today, but I’d prefer to say it’s because I’m muffin-less.
Why all the caffeine you may ask? Because as of tonight I am FLORIDA-bound! And I have food classes all day today and like a zillion things I need to do at home. Like packing for one thing? HALP.
I seriously can’t even think about any of that right now, because these MUFFINS! They’ve absolutely taken over my brain.
I might even be contemplating whipping up another batch of these babies before hitting the road tonight. Hey, SNACKS, guys! They’re a crucial part of any road trip.
Okay, I’m out, friends. More fall stuff tomorrow that I’m HOPING will self-publish itself without a hitch.
For now, have a muffin-tastic Thursday. Make THESE and it’s kinda guaranteed. 😉
Sticky Pecan Upside-Down Pumpkin Muffins
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- Pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 15 oz can pumpkin puree
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- Make the topping: Preheat oven to 425F. Bring butter and sugar to a low simmer over medium-high heat. Stirring occasionally, cook caramel until a deep golden brown and slightly thickened. Remove from heat and whisk in whipping cream and a pinch of salt. Divide chopped pecans between a greased 12-cup muffin tin, placing nuts in the bottom. Top each with about 1/2 to 1 tablespoon caramel sauce. Set aside.
- Make the muffins: In a large bowl, whisk pumpkin, sugar, eggs, oil, buttermilk, and vanilla until smooth. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and pumpkin pie spice. Gently fold flour mixture into liquid, stirring until just combined.
- Divide muffin batter evenly between muffin cups, carefully spooning batter over nuts and caramel. Smooth tops. Bake muffins at 425F 5 minutes, then reduce heat to 375F and continue baking 15-16 minutes or until a toothpick tests done.
- Cool muffin in pan 5-10 minutes, then very carefully, run a knife around muffins and quickly invert onto a cooling rack. Enjoy muffins warm!
More of my faaaaav pumpkin goodies! *cue drooling*