Add a holiday twist to your coffee with this homemade eggnog coffee creamer! It’s so much better than store-bought, and also makes the best gift!
I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say that because of the fact that the calendar is now saying that it’s December means that eggnog is officially back in style.
So might as well be putting it in all the things, including your coffee!
We love stocking the fridge with holiday creamers this time of year and making it yourself is SO much easier and tastier than you might think! Plus saves you those $$.
This creamer has all the classic things you love about eggnog with plenty of nutmeg and vanilla, only it’s not quite as heavy as traditional eggnog. It’s light, foamy, and absolutely delicious in any coffee situation.
This Coffee Creamer features…
- A light and creamy consistency
- Lots of vanilla and ground nutmeg
- Only 7 basic ingredients needed and ready in 15 minutes
Making the Coffee Creamer
(scroll down to the bottom of the post for the full recipe)
Ingredients You Will Need
- Egg yolk
- 2% or skim milk
- Heavy whipping cream
- Granulated sugar
- Maple syrup
- Vanilla extract
Choosing Your Milk
This recipe works great with a variety of milks. We typically keep it simple and use either 2% or skim milk, but many other types of milk will work including dairy-free.
Try this creamer with whole milk for a richer flavor, almond milk, oat milk, coconut milk, or soy milk.
Tips for Perfect Coffee Creamer
- Heat milk, heavy cream, sugar, and maple syrup – allow these ingredients to heat until just steaming.
- Temper egg yolk – to temper the egg yolk means to slowly introduce a hot liquid. Slowly drizzle 1/2 cup hot milk mixture into the egg yolk, whisking constantly to prevent the egg yolk from scrambling.
- Do not boil creamer – allow the creamer to cook until just steaming – do not let the creamer boil otherwise it may break.
Try these ideas for a different twist on this creamer.
- Use more spices – try a pinch of cloves, cinnamon, or ginger for an additional spiced flavor.
- Add rum extract – for an extra eggnog flavor, try adding 1/2 teaspoon rum extract.
- Use brown sugar – use this in place of the granulated sugar – it adds an amazing molasses flavor.
Storing Coffee Creamer
This creamer stores well in refrigerator up to 1 week. Since it is dairy-based, we recommend not storing any longer than a week so the dairy doesn’t spoil.
For freezing coffee creamer, we recommend pouring creamer into an ice cube tray to freeze into individual portions for easier thawing. Store creamer cubes in a container or ziplock bag and freeze up to 2 months.
Your coffee seriously isn’t gonna know what hit it with this eggnog creamer! It’s got all the classic rich eggnog flavors and is amazing in both hot and iced coffee.
Meet your new permanent coffee sidekick!
Save this recipe using the ‘save to recipe box’ button below. If you make it, please let us know! Leave a comment + star rating below, or take a photo and tag it on Instagram with #wholeandheavenlyoven.
More coffee favorites to try next!
Eggnog Coffee Creamer
This recipe may included paid links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1-1/2 cups 2% or skim milk
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Place egg yolk in a medium bowl and lightly beat. Set aside for a moment.
- In a medium saucepan, heat milk, heavy cream, sugar, and maple syrup over medium heat until steaming (do not boil)
- Slowly drizzle 1/2 cup hot milk mixture into egg yolk, whisking constantly until smooth. Add egg yolk mixture to saucepan and whisk occasionally over medium heat until creamer is steaming, stirring occasionally.
- Remove creamer from heat and whisk in vanilla and nutmeg. Allow creamer to cool then chill in refrigerator before using. Enjoy!
This post was updated with new recipe adjustments and photos on 12/20/23.