Classic coffee shop-style cold brew coffee is SO unbelievably easy to make at home you’ll never go back to buying it. This overnight cold brew coffee is a keeper recipe for any coffee lover!
*This post was updated with new photos 3/31/21*
Meet the current obsession amongst all the coffee-drinkers in my family, you guys. Soon to be yours.
Today I’m going to show you how to make the most incredible cold brew from the comfort of your own home!
No need to to shell out $5 for your coffee fix anymore! We’re making it budget-friendly, completely overnight, and so much better right in your own kitchen.
Props to Jason for inspiring this cold brew, btw. He convinced me to give it a try so I did just cause I’m always down for a new coffee love.
Spoiler: we both fell hard and fast in love with it. It’s so simple, yet about the most life-changing coffee you’ll ever make.
This Overnight Cold Brew Coffee features…
- An incredibly rich, smooth, and strong coffee flavor
- NO fancy equipment required – just a large mason jar and a fine-mesh sieve
- Nearly hands-off prep! 5 minute prep time and then let the fridge take care of the rest
- A blank canvas for so many delicious iced coffee creations!
Making the Cold Brew
(scroll to the bottom of the post for the full recipe!)
What You Will Need
- 2 mason jars (or two large pitchers or containers)
- A fine-mesh sieve
- Coffee grounds
- Coffee filters or cheesecloth
Choosing Your Coffee
While you can certainly splurge and go for a higher quality coffee, we have found that cheap coffee such as Maxwell House or Folgers works perfectly fine for this recipe.
Because the grounds soak for so long in the water, they cut nearly all of the bitterness you usually find in cheap coffee and makes it unbelievably smooth and rich in flavor.
Best Type of Grind
Coarsely-ground coffee works best for cold brew. You can buy beans coarsely ground or grind your own on the coarse setting using your own grinder or a grocery store grinder.
We recommend grinding your own beans for the freshest coffee flavor, however, it certainly doesn’t make or break your cold brew!
Ways to Enjoy Coffee
- Black over ice
- Mixed with half and half or heavy cream
- With a few splashes of your favorite creamer
- Mixed with coffee syrups + cream
This coffee recipe is seriously so unbelievably spot-on identical to the stuff you buy at coffee shops, you’ll wonder why you haven’t been making it at home sooner!
Perfectly smooth, an incredibly rich coffee flavor, and a blank canvas for any iced coffee creation you can dream up.
Make more of this cold brew than you think you’ll drink in a week cause I guarantee you’ll drink most of it within a few days!
Coffee pairs well with….more coffee! Try these treats alongside a cup. ♥
Watch this cold brew coffee made step-by-step on Google web stories!
Overnight Cold-Brew Coffee
- 1-1/3 cups coffee grounds**
- 4 cups cold water
- Creamer, milk, and ice for serving
- Place coffee grounds in the bottom of a 2-quart mason jar or pitcher. Pour cold water on top and use a spoon to stir to completely combine. Screw lid on top of jar or cover with plastic wrap and chill cold brew overnight or at least 12 hours.
- Set a cheesecloth or coffee filter over a fine-mesh sieve and place sieve over an empty 1-quart mason jar or pitcher. Pour cold brew coffee through strainer, a little bit at a time until all the cold brew coffee is strained. Discard grounds.
- Serve cold brew with creamer/milk, and ice or store in refrigerator up to a week. Enjoy!