Blueberry banana bread gets a lighter makeover! This easy one-bowl banana bread is studded with tons of juicy blueberries and drizzled in a tangy, irresistible citrus glaze.
You know that feeling when you just find the ultimate blueberry banana bread and wanna scream from the rooftops just how freaking amazing said banana bread is?
Yeah, me too.
Here’s the deal, guys. I can’t/won’t give up my banana bread once January diet season rolls around, so I adjust things to work in all of our favor.
Those things that needed adjusting? This blueberry banana bread obviously. A nice little lighter makeover and trust me, your tastebuds are gonna be completely FOOLED.
I cut out the regular oil in place for coconut oil, load up a TON of mashed banana in the batter which accounts for spot-on flavor + insanely-moist texture + makes up for a lot of the usual-oil content you see in banana bread.
Blueberries go in the batter because you just gotta. Glaze goes on top of the finished perfect loaf because…well again, you gotta.
The best part about this banana bread has got to be the simplicity. It’s obviously basic, but sometimes basic is good. Just a classic, kick-butt banana bread decked out with juicy blueberries and tons of orange glaze. << no crazy frills needed.
In addition…only 181 calories per extra thick-cut/extra glaze-covered slice so I certainly wouldn’t blame you if half of the loaf “accidentally” disappeared. A fortunate accident, shall we call it…
I’m a total fangirl for those incredibly-soft banana bread centers just so you know. Best.Part.Ever.
Ready for the best thing your diet has seen so far?
Lighter Blueberry Banana Bread with Citrus Glaze
- 3 large ripe bananas mashed
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries if using frozen, do not thaw
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Make the bread: Preheat oven to 350F and grease an 11" loaf pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat bananas, sugar, oil, milk, eggs, and vanilla until smooth. Fold in flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until batter is just combined. Fold in blueberries.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan and smooth top. Bake banana bread at 350F 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean. Cool bread completely on a wire cooling rack. Once cooled, remove from pan.
- Make the glaze: In a small bowl, whisk all glaze ingredients until smooth. Drizzle over cooled bread and let stand 5 minutes. Slice bread and enjoy!
Banana bread is kinda my thing. Try this apple pie banana bread next!!