Balsamic caramelized onions and flavorful mushrooms are a winning combo in this creamy, insanely cheesy mac ‘n’ cheese! Perfect weeknight comfort food.
Mmmmmkay, guys. I’d say it’s most definitely time for some hard-core comfort food.
Can balsamic caramelized onion mushroom mac ‘n’ cheese deliver? Ohhhhhh yes it can.
Can I eat that whole skillet solo? Bet.
So it turned fall here like overnight, guys. Not even kidding the amount of soups, casseroles, and cozy foods that are now being craved. Mac ‘n’ cheese is totally a year-round kinda comfort food deal but even MORE SO right now. I wanna eat this every day forever, the end.
We’re gonna start off nice and simple with a base of flavor GOLD like balsamic caramelized onions, sauteed mushrooms, and garlic hanging out in a rich, luscious cheese sauce.
It’s really, really good. A mess ‘o elbows thrown into the party only makes things wilder and way way better. As carbs tend to do. There’s also both sharp cheddar AND Parm cheese in this mac, guys.
The more cheese the merrier is what the Wisconsinite in me will always preach. ✌️✌️
You will unashamedly be eating this mac straight outta the pan, guys. It is the REAL DEAL cozy food.
Plates unnecessary. Just don’t even bother.
Balsamic Caramelized Onion Mushroom Mac 'n' Cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon, divided butter
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup thinly sliced button mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup half and half cream
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 12 oz elbow pasta, cooked according to package instructions
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter until pan is shimmery. Add onions and saute, stirring occasionally until onions are a deep golden brown and tender, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, garlic, and balsamic vinegar to pan and saute an additional 5 minutes or until mushrooms are softened and garlic is fragrant. Scrape onion mixture into a bowl and set aside.
- In same skillet over medium heat, melt remaining 1/4 cup butter. Whisk in flour until completely smooth and let cook 1 minute until golden brown. Slowly whisk in half and half and milk until mixture is smooth. Bring to a simmer over medium heat until sauce is bubbly and thickened.
- Remove sauce from heat and whisk in cheeses until melted. Add cooked pasta and onion/mushroom mixture and stir until evenly combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake mac 'n' cheese at 375F 15-20 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown. Serve hot and enjoy!