French onion soup meatballs are made ENTIRELY in the instant pot with flavorful beer and gooey swiss cheese. — all the things you love about French onion soup in meatball form!
The entire contents of this bowl is almost too good to be true.
It’s like French onion soup meets meatballs meets bowl of pasta meets EASY instant pot food with minimal cleanup.
So basically we’re calling these meatballs an overall dinner dream, okay? They just fit the bill.
There’s something about combining one classic comfort food with another that is just SO GOOD.
Any fan of French onion soup is going to be ALL over these meatballs. Jason and I made yet another batch this past weekend because suffice to say, we are obsessed.
These French Onion Soup Meatballs feature…
- A juicy, tender beef meatball base
- Tons of sweet caramelized onions
- A flavorful beer beef broth sauce
- Melty, gooey swiss cheese on top
Making the French Onion Soup Meatballs
(scroll to the bottom of the post for the full recipe!)
Heat your instant pot to LOW SAUTE mode and thinly slice a medium Vidalia onion. Add a tablespoon of butter to instant pot and then add your onions.
Stir the onions around occasionally while they cook in the instant pot. It should take around 20 minutes for them to full caramelize. (you can also cook them in a pan on the stove, but I like how this method saves dishes!)
Cooking the Meatballs
Form your meatballs into 1-inch balls and now we’re going to brown them in the instant pot using the HIGH SAUTE function (again, just like the onions you can cook these on the stove)
Once the meatballs are browned, arrange them in the bottom of the instant pot with the caramelized onions and fresh thyme.
Pour beer and beef broth over top and lock the lid in place. Cook meatballs on high pressure 8 minutes, then allow to release pressure naturally for 5 minutes.
We’re going to thicken the sauce up with a flour-water mixture, then nestle the meatballs back into the pot and top with shredded swiss cheese.
Place the lid back in place and now just let the instant pot stay covered 5 minutes to melt the cheese.
If you would like to slow cook these meatballs instead of pressure cook them, follow steps 1-3, add everything to instant pot, (or slow cooker) cover, and cook meatballs on high 3-4 hours or low 6-8 hours.
Follow step 5 as it’s written for thickening the sauce and adding the cheese.
What to Serve the Meatballs With
- On top of hot buttered egg noodles (our personal fav!)
- Stuffed inside a split French roll
- On top of hot fluffy rice
- Stuffed inside a slider roll for a bite-sized appetizer
These meatballs are just plain ‘n’ simple SO GOOD, you guys.
Perfectly saucy, cheesy, and exploding with sweet caramelized onion flavor with just a hint of rich, malty beer in the sauce. It’s insanely delicious.
They’re also just SO incredibly easy to make! Dirties less dishes and they’re ready in under an hour! Can’t get much more of a dinner win than that.
More meatball recipes I know you’re going to love!
- Instant Pot Red Wine Marinara Meatballs
- Instant Pot Chicken Parmesan Meatballs
- 30-Minute Asian Style Turkey Meatballs
Instant Pot Beer French Onion Soup Meatballs
This recipe may included paid links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium sweet vidalia onion, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs (panko works well)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup medium to light beer
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced thyme
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, whisked with 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup shredded swiss cheese
- Hot cooked pasta for serving
- Set a 6-qt instant pot to LOW SAUTE function. Melt the butter then add sliced onions and slowly cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until onions are a deep golden caramelized brown (about 20 minutes of cooking) Remove onions from instant pot, turn off instant pot, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine ground beef, breadcrumbs, egg, garlic, salt, and pepper until combined. Form meatballs into 1-in balls.
- Heat instant pot on HIGH SAUTE function and add oil. Brown meatballs in oil until golden.
- Turn off SAUTE function and drain oil from instant pot. Arrange caramelized onions around meatballs and pour beer and beef broth over top. Top with thyme. Lock lid in place and cook meatballs on high pressure 8 minutes. Let release pressure naturally for 5 minutes.
- Remove lid from instant pot and remove meatballs from instant pot. Stir flour-water into beef broth mixture until thickened. Transfer meatballs back to instant pot and top with shredded swiss cheese. Place lid back on instant pot and let stand 5 minutes until cheese is melted. Serve meatballs hot with pasta and enjoy!