This honey mustard salmon roasts up completely on one sheet pan with lots of tender garlic butter sweet potatoes on the side. – the easiest mess-free dinner!
Welcome to 2023! We’re starting this year off with the easiest-ever sheet pan dinner featuring a mess of tender sweet potatoes and a killer honey mustard salmon.
The first of many flavor-packed, yet nourishing meals to come this year! Get excited.
And in the meantime, get ready to crave salmon in nothing but this form for awhile.
We’re using super simple ingredients today which really allow for the salmon and sweet potatoes to absolutely shine AND goes easy on your grocery bill!
This Honey Mustard Salmon features…
- Melt-in-your-mouth salmon roasted in a flavorful honey mustard.
- Garlicky, buttery roast sweet potatoes.
- Less than an hour to make and made completely on one sheet pan.
Making the Honey Mustard Salmon
(scroll down to the bottom of the post for the full recipe)
Ingredients You Will Need
- Sweet potatoes
- Unsalted butter
- Dijon mustard
- Whole grain mustard
- Apple cider vinegar
- Salmon fillets
How to Prepare Salmon
You will need about 1-1/2 lbs of salmon for this recipe. We recommend purchasing a side of salmon and cutting it into 6-ounce fillets yourself so you can control the size and make sure the fillets are uniform.
We prefer roasting salmon skinless, so feel free to remove the skin before roasting if you wish or leave it on.
Tips for Perfect Salmon and Sweet Potatoes
- Par-cook sweet potatoes – the sweet potatoes will take quite a bit longer than the salmon to cook, so par cook the sweet potatoes on the sheet pan for about 20 minutes before adding the salmon.
- Use two kinds of mustard in sauce – Dijon mustard and a whole-grain mustard add a lovely balance of mustard flavor to the honey mustard sauce.
- Don’t overcook salmon – salmon is one of those meats that can go from perfectly-cooked to dry in a matter of seconds. Roast the salmon 10-12 minutes and test with a kitchen thermometer to determine when it is done – you will want to aim for an internal temperature of 125-130F.
Try these ideas for a different twist on this recipe!
- Use different veggies – try butternut squash, kale, asparagus, baby potatoes, sweet pepper, or green beans and feel free to use multiple kinds together!
- Make it maple-mustard – a good maple syrup would be a great substitute for the honey in the sauce.
- Try it with chicken – boneless skinless chicken breasts would work great in place of the salmon. Be aware, you will need to increase the cook time.
Make Ahead Instructions
Many components of this sheet pan dinner can be made way ahead of time for easy assembly.
- Prep the sweet potatoes – these can be cut and stored in cold water in the fridge up to 4 days.
- Prep the salmon – the salmon may be cut into fillets and stored in the fridge up to 4 days.
- Make the sauces – the garlic butter sauce and honey mustard can be made and stored in the fridge up to 6 days (be aware, the garlic butter sauce will solidify in the fridge – bring it back to liquid form by heating in the microwave 30-60 seconds)
The sweet tanginess from the honey mustard sauce paired with the garlicky sweet potatoes and melt-in-your-mouth salmon is just the best explosion of flavors in this easy sheet pan dinner!
Easy, nourishing, and essentially mess-free. You can’t ask much more of a dinner.
Save this recipe using the ‘save to recipe box’ button below. If you make it, please let us know! Leave a comment + star rating below, or take a photo and tag it on Instagram with #wholeandheavenlyoven.
Watch this salmon made step-by-step on Google web stories.
More sheet pan dinners you will definitely want to add to your dinner lineup!
Honey Mustard Salmon with Garlic Butter Sweet Potatoes
Garlic Butter Sweet Potatoes
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cut into 1/2-in cubes
- Salt and pepper to taste
Honey Mustard Salmon
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 lbs salmon fillets (about 4 six-ounce fillets)
Garlic Butter Sweet Potatoes
- Preheat oven to 400F. Lightly grease a large sheet pan and set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add garlic and saute 1-2 minutes until fragrant. Remove from heat and add parsley.
- Toss sweet potatoes and garlic butter together on sheet pan and arrange in a single layer on half of pan. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Roast sweet potatoes at 400F 20 minutes until sweet potatoes are nearly tender, then remove from oven for a moment. Keep oven on.
Honey Mustard Salmon
- In a small bowl, whisk honey, mustards, vinegar, paprika, salt, and pepper until smooth. Arrange salmon fillets on remaining half of sheet pan and spoon honey mustard on top of each fillet.
- Return sheet pan to oven and bake salmon and sweet potatoes 10-12 minutes until sweet potatoes are tender and salmon registers 125-130F. Serve salmon and sweet potatoes warm and enjoy!
Leave a Reply