This lemon Dijon chicken features juicy seared chicken breasts simmered in a fresh lemon Dijon mustard cream sauce. Amazing over a bowl of rice or pasta!
It’s time to get some bright and cheery lemon action in here! This time of year is gloomy and cold so a pan of this chicken is exactly what the doctor ordered.
Bright lemon and tangy Dijon mustard are a match made in heaven in the cream sauce smothering this chicken and I’m gonna go ahead and say it’s perfectly rational to feel inclined to drink it with a spoon.
Of course, we’re keeping things incredibly easy today and pulling off this winner chicken in one pan in only 40 minutes of your evening. *immediately adds to regular rotation*
This Lemon Chicken features…
- Juicy seared chicken breasts
- A creamy fresh lemon Dijon mustard sauce
- Steamed rice or pasta for serving
- Ready in 40 minutes with only 9 ingredients
Making the Lemon Chicken
(scroll down to the bottom of the post for the full recipe)
Ingredients You Will Need
- Chicken breasts
- Unsalted butter
- Olive oil
- Chicken broth
- Heavy whipping cream
- Dijon mustard
Choosing Your Chicken
We recommend using boneless skinless chicken breasts for this recipe. This cut of chicken is fast to cook up in the skillet and turns out super tender and juicy.
If you don’t have breasts on hand, boneless skinless chicken thighs will work great instead!
Tips for Perfect Lemon Chicken
- Sear chicken breasts – this adds a lovely golden crust to the outside of breasts and helps build a flavor base in the pan.
- Use fresh lemon and garlic – this adds an unmatchable fresh flavor to the sauce.
- Finish cooking chicken in sauce – once all the ingredients are added to the pan, cover pan, and allow to simmer on medium-low 8-10 minutes to reduce the sauce and finish cooking the chicken.
- Top chicken with fresh parsley – fresh minced parsley adds an incredible little pop of fresh herby flavor to the chicken.
Try these ideas for a different twist on this recipe.
- Add vegetables – try simmering spinach, green beans, asparagus, mushrooms, or sweet pepper in the sauce.
- Try a different fresh herb – fresh dill, chives, or basil work great in place of the parsley.
We recommend serving this chicken over steamed rice or your favorite pasta. There’s tons of sauce in the pan that’s perfect for ladling over hot rice or pasta for a full meal.
Everyone you serve this lemon mustard chicken to is going to absolutely fall in love! The chicken cooks up so juicy and soaks up every bit of that amazing lemon mustard cream sauce.
Seriously, meet your new favorite chicken dinner for real.
Save this recipe using the ‘save to recipe box’ button below. If you make it, please let us know! Leave a comment + star rating below, or take a photo and tag it on Instagram with #wholeandheavenlyoven.
Watch this chicken made step-by-step on Google web stories.
More quick and easy weeknight chicken dinners!
Creamy Lemon Dijon Chicken
This recipe may included paid links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
- 1-1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 4 breasts)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 medium lemon, zested and juiced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Rice or pasta for serving
- Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper to taste. Heat 1 tablespoon butter and olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until melted and hot. Place chicken breasts in pan and sear 3-5 minutes on both sides until golden brown. Transfer chicken to a plate.
- Melt remaining butter over medium heat. Add garlic and cook 1-2 minutes until fragrant. Pour chicken broth into pan and use a wooden spoon to scrape up any browned bits. Whisk in heavy cream and mustard until smooth.
- Nestle chicken breasts into sauce and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce heat to low, cover pan, and allow to simmer 8-10 minutes, folding occasionally until chicken registers 165F.
- Fold lemon zest, juice, and parsley into sauce. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve lemon dijon chicken warm over rice or pasta and enjoy!