This baked pizza dip features layers of gooey cheese, pizza sauce, mini pepperoni, and drizzles of fresh pesto on top. Serve this crowd-pleasing dip with lots of toasted bread for dipping.
We’ve got you covered with the BEST last-minute Superbowl appetizer today! Surprise, surprise it contains pizza…
This is definitely one of the more indulgent dips we’ve shared on the website, but the Superbowl is a special snack occasion and we’re pulling out all the stops today with zero regrets.
And lemme tell ya, it’s about to be the most popular app on the table.
It’s even got a heavy drizzle of the glorious green stuff aka homemade pesto on top that bumps ALL the flavors up to a 10.
This Pizza Dip features…
- A layer of herbed cream cheese
- Flavorful pizza sauce and gooey mozzarella cheese
- Salty mini pepperoni and drizzles of fresh basil pesto
- Minutes to prepare and incredible with toasted bread for dipping
Making the Pizza Dip
(scroll down to the bottom of the post for the full recipe)
Ingredients You Will Need
- Pine nuts
- Parmesan cheese
- Olive oil
- Cream cheese
- Cheddar cheese
- Italian seasoning
- Pizza sauce
- Mozzarella cheese
- Mini pepperoni
We recommend serving this pizza dip warm with toasted bread slices for dipping.
To quickly toast bread for this dip, arrange sliced French or Italian bread in a single layer on a sheet pan and broil 2-3 minutes until a light golden brown.
Tips for Perfect Pizza Dip
- Make homemade pesto – you really can’t beat the flavor that homemade basil pesto gives this dip! However, if you’re short on time 1/4 cup jarred pesto will work in place of the homemade.
- Soften cream cheese – this will make it much easier to incorporate into the dip.
- Build layers in dip – we start with an herbed cream cheese layer followed by pizza sauce, mozzarella, pepperoni, and basil pesto.
- Broil dip after baking – this is optional, but it helps crisp up the pepperoni a bit.
- Blot grease from pepperoni – if your pepperoni was especially fatty, use a paper towel to gently blot excess grease from dip after baking.
- Drizzle dip with pesto – save this step for after baking so the pesto keeps its herby flavor.
Try these ideas for a different twist on this dip.
- Try a different cheese – try gouda, Parmesan, asiago, or Monterey jack.
- Make it spicy – add red pepper flakes or your favorite hot sauce for a spicy kick.
- Add more toppings – try adding your favorite pizza toppings like peppers, pineapple, onions, or mushrooms.
- Skip the meat – skip the pepperoni for a vegetarian version.
You can prep most of the components for this pizza dip ahead of time for easy baking whenever you are ready to serve it.
- Make pesto – the pesto stores well in refrigerator up to 6 days.
- Assemble dip – follow recipe instructions through step 3, wrap dip, and refrigerate up to 4 days before baking.
This is just one of those dips that you will not be able to stop dipping into! Everyone will love the layers of herbed cream cheese, robust pizza sauce, gooey mozzarella, crispy pepperoni, and herby pesto on top.
Just know that this dip also comes with a warning label. You WILL make a meal out of it!
Save this recipe using the ‘save to recipe box’ button below. If you make it, please let us know! Leave a comment + star rating below, or take a photo and tag it on Instagram with #wholeandheavenlyoven.
Watch this dip made step-by-step on Google web stories.
Try these other hot and cheesy apps next!
Baked Pizza Dip with Pesto
This recipe may included paid links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
- 1/2 cup firmly-packed fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts (or walnuts)
- 1 medium clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 1 cup low-moisture shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup mini pepperoni
- Toasted bread slices for serving
- In a blender or food processor, combine basil, pine nuts, garlic, and Parmesan. With machine running, drizzle olive oil through top, pulsing several times until pesto is smooth, scraping down sides as necessary. Season pesto with salt and pepper to taste and store in fridge until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Lightly grease a 9-inch pie pan or baking dish and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese, cheddar, garlic, Italian seasoning, and oregano until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste and spread in an even layer in prepared pan.
- Spread pizza sauce over top of cream cheese mixture and top with mozzarella and pepperoni.
- Bake pizza dip at 400F 20-25 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly. Optionally, broil pizza dip 2-3 minutes on high to brown cheese and pepperoni.
- Remove pizza dip from oven and use a paper towel to blot excess grease off of the pepperoni. Drizzle dip with pesto sauce and serve warm with toasted bread slices for dipping. Enjoy!