These are the best turkey burgers you’ll ever try! Pesto sauce, mozzarella cheese, and juicy grilled tomatoes take them completely over the top!
If there’s one thing I know, it’s how to make a dang good burger.
But there’s really no way you could possibly know that, huh? Here we are on June 17th and nary a single new burger recipe has gone up on the blog at all so far this summer. My grill has seen pretty much everything else, but burgers have had to take kinda a backseat the past few weeks to make way for things like grilled veggies, honey mustard chicken, steak kebabs…I could keep going for awhile.
The backseat ride is over. It’s burger time, baby. And just in time for the end of our grilling series week AND Father’s Day weekend!!
So you probably wouldn’t know it judging from the lack of burger recipes around here, but burgers/hot dogs are TOTALLY my family’s biggest thing this time of year.
I mean it. We have burgers 1-2 times per week on average. And at nearly ALL the family cookouts? Burgers, y’all. Usually a mix of both beef and turkey burgers.
I ALWAYS go for the turkey burgers first. Beef cannot even compete.
You’re totally gonna freak out over the turkey burger I’m shoving in your face today.
Fresh basil pesto because it’s my food crush…creamy mozzarella because ♥♥…grilled heirloom tomatoes because YEEEEEES.
All piled rather nicely onto our unbelievably-juicy and flavorful turkey burger and squished between an XXL hamburger bun. (pssssssst…try these dinner rolls in bun shape—GAME CHANGER!)
How can you compete with a killer turkey burger combo such as this?? The answer is you can’t. So you might as well just stuff your face.
And then afterwards…a scoop or twenty of ice cream to celebrate the overwhelming amount of SUMMER going down today? Yeeeeeeeeeeees.
Are we Friday ready now? Most definitely.
Pesto Mozzarella Turkey Burgers with Grilled Tomatoes
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- 2 large tomatoes sliced and drained on paper towels
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 6 slices fresh mozzarella cheese
- 6 hamburger buns for serving
- 1/4 cup prepared basil pesto try this recipe!
- In a large bowl, combine ground turkey, garlic, and parsley. Shape meat into 6 hamburger patties and season outside of each patty generously with salt and pepper.
- Grill hamburgers on medium-high heat, turning once until hamburgers register 165F, about 10-13 minutes. Keep hamburgers warm and set aside a moment.
- Grill the tomatoes: Brush tomato slices with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill tomatoes over medium-high heat, turning once until slices have grill marks and are slightly softened. Set aside.
- Place hamburgers on a sheet pan and top with mozzarella slices. Broil on high heat 1-2 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and golden.
- Place hamburger patties on hamburger buns and top each patty with basil pesto, and grilled tomatoes. Replace bun tops and serve hamburgers immediately while warm. Enjoy!
Make sure you try THIS twist on turkey burgers next time!
Gayle @ Pumpkin 'N Spice says
I’m positive that these are the best turkey burgers, just by looking at them! I love how thick they are, Sarah! Some of the store-bought ones are so thin, which is disappointing. And that pesto…yes, please! This looks perfect for Father’s Day and the rest of the summer!
I used to buy the storebought turkey burgers too and quickly stopped because they were soooo thin and thick turkey burgers is the only way to go!! 😉
Bethany @ Athletic Avocado says
Turkey burgers are always my top choice at cookouts too! Beef is just meh, but turkey burgers are BAE. I never thought of italian-ifying (made up that word) the classic turkey burger! I love me some pesto with mozzarella and tomatoes, YUM!
Heck yes turkey burgers are bae!! I love your enthusiasm, Bethany! 🙂
Vivian | stayaliveandcooking says
Ahhhh I’m so with you, for some reason I simply “forget” to cook burgers! But they are sooo good. We actually had some last week, but then the more simple ones with melted cheese and crispy bacon… These look yumm, I’ve never actually made a burger with turkey (OMG) so I’m going to pin this for later. Cheers!
Nothing beats a good ‘ol bacon and cheese burger!! You so need to try this one next time, Vivian!
That fresh basil pesto looks so amazing and I love that you grilled the tomatoes. Yum!
Jess @ Sweetest Menu says
Sarah – that burger with THAT cheese, I can’t even! So gorgeous girl! Your photos always blow me away!
You are seriously the sweetest, Jess!! Thanks so much girlie!
Izzy @ She Likes Food says
My husband and I go crazy for almost any food that can be made on the grill! And I especially go crazy for things that are topped with pesto, cheese and tomatoes! These burgers look awesome and I bet they taste amazing 🙂
Pesto, cheese, and tomatoes is totally one of my fav combos too!! Thanks Izzy. 🙂
Margaret Ann @ MAK and Her Cheese says
Umm… YUM!!!! I love the idea of grilling the tomatoes; that char looks amazing! Thanks for the inspiration!
These are totally my kind of burgers! They look amazing and I love that you used turkey and the glorious pesto is just calling my name!
Thanks Kelly! You’ve gotta try these!!